PADI 5 Day Learn to Scuba Dive Course
If you are thinking about taking the plunge our 5 day PADI "Open Water" dive course is by far the most popular way to do it. The adventure of learning to dive as well as staying out on the reef for 3 days and 2 nights on one of our premium live aboard vessels is quite unique.
Your course includes 9 dives on some of the best dive sites the Outer Great Barrier Reef has to offer as well as plenty of time to snorkel, relax and really enjoy the reef experience. All this makes this course unmatched for experience and value.
Your 5 Day PADI Learn to Dive Course is broken down into two components - 2 Days of classroom and pool and training and then a 3 day 2 night 9 dive liveaboard dive trip to some of the best Outer Reef dive sites available.
The first two days of your course are spent at our modern training centre learning the theory and practical skills of scuba diving. At the end of day 2 we recommend the option of attending 'Reef Teach'. 'Reef Teach' is a fun and informative marine biology presentation that will greatly enhance your reef experience. (Additional cost)
The next 3 days and 2 nights are spent living on board one of our premium live aboard dive vessels. You'll have the opportunity to participate in 9 dives on a variety of our 16 exclusive dive sites on the outer Great Barrier Reef. Your first 4 dives will complete your open water certification and then as certified diver you are able to undertake up to 5 more recreational or pleasure dives. One of these dives is a guided night dive! These extra dives will be a highlight of your course and a truly memorable experience.
On the night of your return to Cairns you have the option to join your fellow passengers and the crew for a farewell dinner at a local restaurant.
- English: Daily except Sunday
- German: Tuesdays and Fridays
- Japanese: Thursdays
For those customers who speak languages other than those mentioned above we also have PADI textbooks available in a range of other European and Asian languages.
- 9 Dives (4 training dives and 5 pleasure dives – inc one night dive)
- PADI Gold Open Water Certification
- PADI Open Water manual
- Dive Log Book
- 2 Passport Photos
- All dive & snorkelling equipment - includes dive computer, wetsuit and dive torch.
- Dive Insurance
- Corrective lens mask (if required)
- Accommodation transfers (Cairns city & northern beaches)
- All accommodation, meals and bed linen (on board the boat)
- Important Information For Learn to Dive Course Participants continuing on with their dive education.
Prior to commencing your Learn to Dive Course you are required to complete the self-assessment Entry Level Student Dive Medical Declaration. A positive response to any question means that there is a pre-existing condition that may affect your safety while diving and you must consult a medical practitioner preferably with experience in diving medicine to obtain a dive medical certificate that states that you are fit to undertake recreational diver training.
To avoid disappointment we suggest that you complete the Student Diver Medical Declaration and if necessary obtain a dive medical from a doctor prior to commencement. (Any costs associated in this process are payable direct to the doctor).
Important Note: Student Diver Medical Declaration and Dive Medical (if required) must be completed within 90 days of commencement of your learn to dive course.
- Taxes And Charges: An additional fee of $60 person is payable direct to Pro Dive Cairns. This charge includes a $10.50 Government Environmental Management Charge as well as a Port Departure Tax and administration costs.
- Camera Hire: Digital underwater camera's are available for hire on board our dive boats for a cost of A$35 per dive.
- The minimum age to learn to dive in Queensland is 12. There is no maximum age.
- It is a dive course requirement that you be able to swim 200 metres or snorkel 300 metres and tread water/float for 10 minutes.
- We recommend that you do not fly within 24 hours of diving. This means that the earliest you should fly is 12 pm (midday) on the day after your dive course concludes
- This course is a nationally recognised training program and is delivered under partnership arrangements with PADI RTO (RTO ID 6729)
Cancellation and Refund Policy
You can cancel your Learn to Dive course for any reason at any time up to the end of Day 1 of the course and receive a full refund of all money paid to Pro Dive Cairns. There is no refund for any reason after this time. If you have booked through a travel agent cancellation fees may apply.
Rates - 2014/15
5 Day Learn To Dive Course
Taxes & Charges*
Rates - 2015/16
5 Day Learn To Dive Course
Taxes & Charges*
Rates valid 01 April 2015 to 31 March 2016, per person and in Australian Dollars (Currency Converter).
Book With Confidence
The security of your personal information is important to us. The booking link (above) will take you to our SSL encrypted secure server to complete your booking.
When you book direct with us for any of our dive courses or dive trips you have the comfort and security of knowing that you will get a full refund should you decide to cancel your booking as long as you cancel in accordance with our cancellation policy.
“Live Availability” Booking Guidelines
When booking multiple people for different activities (ie one person 5 Day Open Water Course and one diving), you must make a separate booking for each person.
When booking online you are required to pay in full with your credit card to receive your confirmation.