4 Day Coral Sea Liveaboard
Begin this tour with a reef flight to Lizard Island and then join the crew on board Spirit of Freedom for a dive at the famous "Cod Hole" before travelling out 200 km to one or two remote coral sea reefs being Opsrey Reef and Bougainville reef. Here you will dive with sharks, mantas and schools of pelagics against sheer walls laced with gorgonian fans and visibility of 30-100 metres. Spectacular!
Spirit of Freedom is a luxury dive cruiser offering a level of comfort to satisfy the most discerning dive traveler. At 37 metres the Spirit is one of Australia's largest live-aboard dive vessels, and features electronic stabilisers, wide screen TV/ DVD, comfortable lounge areas, sun decks, and spacious cabins with en-suite bathrooms. With classic lines, white exterior, polished timber & chrome, gourmet meals and an outstanding level of service, the atmosphere is more like a private motor yacht than a dive boat!
Sites will vary from 3,000 ft walls to magical coral gardens to lone seamounts emerging from the ocean depths. The water is astoundingly clear and the fish life will include whaler sharks, barracuda, big eye trevally and rays as well as the exotic cuttlefish, sea hares and starry morays. Click here to view a map of the dive locations.
The Coral Sea reefs feature spectacular walls, steep drop-offs and lone seamounts, rising thousands of metres from the ocean floor to just below the surface. Renown for crystal clear water with average visibility well in excess of 40 metres, a diver can appear suspended in air against a vertical wall laced with massive gorgonian fans. Sharks and schooling pelagics cruise through an amazing display of gorgonians, sea whips, and bright yellow soft corals, while nudibranch, anemones, unusual tropical fish, invertebrates, and huge schools of fish provide a rich variety of marine life.
- 1 x Ocean View Deluxe: Very large cabin, with double bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, 2 bed side tables, TV/DVD, CD stereo
- 1 x Ocean View: Smaller cabin with double bed, wardrobe, 1 bedside table, TV/VCR, CD stereo
- 1 x Stateroom: Very spacious cabin with queen bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, 2 bedside tables, TV/DVD, CD
- 7 x Double or Twin: Double bed with single over, wardrobe, 1 bedside table
- 2 x Quad Share: 4 single beds, bunk style, wardrobe
- Departing Cairns 08:30am Thursday
- Returning Cairns 07:00am Monday
- Includes one way flight to Lizard Island over the reef
- Thursday: Courtesy coach transfer from Cairns city hotels to Cairns airport will commence at 07:30am. Your twin-engine light aircraft will depart at 08:30am for your scenic flight over the reef to Lizard Island. Spirit of Freedom crew will greet you on arrival and transfer you to the vessel, where we will depart for the reef. This afternoon we will have the opportunity for two dives before departing in the late evening for Osprey Reef, in the Coral Sea. The dives may be at sites such as the Cod Hole, Pixie Pinnacle and Challenger Bay.
- Friday & Saturday: Osprey Reef. Australia's Coral Sea reefs are renown for crystal clear water with an average visibility in excess of 100 feet. Two days can be spent diving at Osprey Reef, including North Horn, well known for its shark action. You can expect to see grey whalers, silvertips, reef sharks, occasional hammerheads, schooling barracuda, trevally, and other pelagics are common. The landscape is amazing with sheer walls laced with gorgonians, sea whips, and bright yellow soft corals rising from thousands of feet below.
- Sunday Option 1: Still in the Coral Sea, weather depending we will dive Bougainville Reef.
- Sunday Option 2: Today we return to the Ribbon Reefs # 3 to 5 to dive the sensational Steve's Bommie, Temple of Doom, Flare Point, and other sites. In the months of June & July is a great opportunity for further interaction with Minke Whales. After dinner on Sunday evening we will cruise overnight back to Cairns
- Monday: Arrive Cairns approximately 06:30am. Breakfast will be served on board and hotel transfer will be arranged for approx 07:30am.
Please note that above itinerary is a sample only and sites may vary or the sequence may change. Access to the Cod Hole and the Coral Sea is weather conditional and while every attempt will be made to keep to the advertised itinerary, the Coral Sea and specific sites on the Great Barrier Reef are not guaranteed.
- Transfers to/ from Cairns city accommodation
- One way reef flight - Cairns to Lizard Island
- Opportunity for up to 16 dives
- En-suite cabin with daily service
- Chef prepared meals
- Australian wines & soft drinks with evening meals
- Due to light aircraft weight restrictions, your total luggage weight is limited to 20 kilograms/ 45 lb per person. We request that bags be soft sided.
- Diver experience recommendation: Advanced Diver certification with minimum 20 ocean dives including 5 dives in the last 12 months.
- Less experience may result in limited diving due to environmental conditions and remote isolation of dive site. We recommend a refresher course prior to your trip.
- 4 day equiptment rental $160
- 4 day Nitrox fills $105
- Advanced course $265
- Nitrox course $295
Optional Extra Prices are valid from 01/07/15 - 30/06/17
- 20% cancellation fee applies with less than 60 days notice
- 100% cancellation fee applies with 21 days or less notice
|Ocean View Deluxe||$3,025.00|
|Ocean View or Stateroom||$2,800.00|
|Double or Twin share||$2,450.00|
* 01 July to 30 June
** Extra Charge: This additional fee includes a Government Environmental Management Charge as well as Port Departure Tax and administration costs.
Rates are per person and in Australian Dollars (Currency Converter).